as you may have noticed (or, you know, not) i haven't updated all week. that is because i am on vacation and i decided that meant vacation from posting, too, but i am an addict so i'm posting even though i'm still in iowa.
my pans weren't quite ready in time (delivery now scheduled for next friday) so i didn't go to the steelband workshop i was planning on going to. i had a wonderful time there last year, and i was looking forward to meeting robbie greenidge, who plays for jimmy buffett, and jeff narell. but i went to iowa to visit sara instead, which is also wonderful!
while i was waiting for my flight out of national, i sat down to wait and read my book, and this group of people came over and stood next to me and started talking about 'omfg what a biiiATCH that gate agent was!!!11 can u believe it??!!1' ok, i don't really know how they type, but i am guessing it's like that. anyway, they went on and on about some ordinary flying mishap they had flying standby. i got sick of that after about two seconds, and put on my headphones, and half an hour later when i took them off, them bitches were still talking about it. loudly. rookies.
stupid things i saw on the plane:
1. water labelled* "the hydration drink". i'm going to start marketing a line of clothes as "the cover-your-nakedness clothes".
2. a book entitled, "if you are hungry for the power of god then this book is a must". it's like the author couldn't think up a title so he just used the blurb from the publisher. and i felt kind of embarrassed for the dude, too, because i don't think that book is really going to grant him super-deity-powers. we would have heard of it by now.
3. a truly baffling turn of phrase in the in-flight mag: "if ears could see, sam philips' were surely visionary."
stupid things i saw/heard in iowa:
1. a street named dingleberry road. appeals to the 12 year old boy in me. plus, my hashing** name is dingleberry pancakes so i felt a connection there, hehe.
2. at the jazz festival we went to in iowa city, some band did a cover of - i shit you not - toxic. yeah, the britney spears song. it made my ears bleed. now, the bad plus could pull this off... they would do it all tongue-in-cheek, completely deconstruct the song, and make it hilarious. but this wasn't the bad plus, and they played a straight jazz cover that made baby jesus cry. the song itself is catchy, and fun to dance to in clubs, but... but.... no!
* i had to dict.org the spelling of labelled, because it didn't look right with either one or two L's there. it irks me when a dictionary tells me i can spell an english word two different but equally acceptable ways. spelling is a science, not an art! there should be one, and only one, correct way to spell a word.
** hashing: despite the name, it has nothing to do with illegal marijuana derivatives, and everything to do with chasing people through the woods and/or urban jungle on a sort of mad follow-the-leader quest/race in which there are stops for beer along the way. oh, and at the end, you get... more beer! all of my favorite physical activities include frequent beer breaks and boisterous singing of raunchy songs.